Sunday, April 8, 2012

Why Ramen Noodles and Kool Aid?

Why would a Dietitian ever name a blog two notoriously terrible for you food items?

Well, throughout my years as an RD, I have determined that Ramen Noodles and Kool-Aid will always allow me to have a job. These are two of my least favorite foods, both widely consumed, often loved, and sometimes even consumed together according to my latest google search. Yet they have nearly no nutritional value.

Ramen Noodles, or what we in Hawaii call Saimin, is nothing more than carbohydrate, fat and sodium in an extremely affordable plastic container. I'm guessing the most expensive part of the product is the package. At anywhere from $0.10 to $0.47 per package, you could have one of the most cost effective meals containing 380 calories, a huge bang for your less than buck! And maybe a heart attack or diabetes to go with all of the carbohydrate and sodium to go with it (with repeated consumption of course).

Kool-Aid, which I was never allowed to have growing up, and had no idea that you had to actually add sugar when you mixed it until about a year ago, is another one of my personal favorite worthless nutritional items. Sugar, water and food color and flavorings that can dye your hair a bright color just doesn't seem like something I want to put in my body.

So I ask you - why? Why do we as Americans consume both these products? And why at such a magnitude? It is a question that I just can't answer and really don't understand. I like to eat, and know that my body is important. Unlike many things we only have one body, so why torture it with terrible food choices?

My goal with this oddly named blog is to discuss food items, recipes and diets, from hot new products, to tried and true favorites and give my opinion as a Registered Dietitian and someone who just likes to eat good food.

I must disclose that I don't get any money from any food companies of any sort and everything that I write is my opinion and nothing more.

Let's Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment